Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mimosa Pudica

From the Youngest Daughter :)

In Indonesia they have a weed called Mimosa Pudica. It's also called Sensitive plant, Touch Me Not, Shy Girl and lots of other names! The cool thing is, when you touch the leaves they fold up! It's really amazing to watch. You can see it here on this video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkUjpHykpkM&feature=related

Are you in love with this plant yet?? I sure am! :) And guess what!? I found seeds for it at a plant nursery! So of course I bought some. And guess what again!? They are growing and are now big enough to move when I touch them!
My seedlings before touching:

After touching:
It's very strange, because we have an Indonesian friend and he says that in Indonesia these are really annoying weeds! But here people think they are amazing.
When our Indonesian friend visits us, he likes to go to thrift stores and buy lots of knick-knacks (that we think are cheap and boring.) To him they are amazing. He loves our junk. We love his weeds.
Culture is so weird. :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is such a cool plant, and yes, the cross-cultural differences are amazing. In some countries, it is rude to look some-one in the eye while talking to them. And here we think it's rude not to look others in the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that line..."He loves our junk. We love his weeds." That made me laugh! One person's junk (or weeds) is another's treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe! Thanks Jill. I love knowing I make people laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete