Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pew Portraits

From the Youngest Daughter :)
I have a confession to make. *Deep breath* I doodle in church. ;)
Actually, to be more precise, I draw the people I see. Now you may think that it must distract me from the sermon, and maybe it does a little. But at the same time, I don't do well sitting still and doing nothing.
This is one of the first ones I drew. Ever.


Now, as I was trying to think of a way to write this post to make it sound less shocking, I really started thinking. My mom thinks this habit of mine is funny, and has even drawn a few herself. (Sshhh. Don't tell.) My oldest brother and his wife think it's hilarious. Sooooo ... does God mind? He has a sense of humor. Maybe He thinks it's funny too!

Eric Liddell said: "I believe God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. And when I run I fell His pleasure."
God made me with a sense of humor. And He made me enjoy drawing. Perhaps He is pleased when I doodle in church! I don't know. It's just something to think about.

I never seem to run out of characters to draw. Maybe God makes sure I sit behind drawable subjects. :)
This boy below had just about the messiest hair I have ever seen! It was like bed head x 95. Frizzy parts, bumpy parts, curly parts, un-brushed-for-a-month-looking parts, etc. It looked better, or perhaps I should say worse, in person. :)

While thinking about God having a sense of humor, it made me think: When was the last time I told God about something funny that happened in my life? I tell Him my problems. Why not my hilariousness too?

Oh, and by the way, there are lots of younger people at my church. They're just not as fun to draw. :)

This last man was at my brothers church. Hence the comfy theatre chairs instead of pews. :)



So what do you think about my slightly shocking post? Am I just crazy, or do I have a couple of good points? (I almost wrote, do I have a couple of good pints! Haha! Care for some milk? :)

13 comments:

  1. Too funny. I love them all! You should make a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe! That's just what my brother said.
    Unless of course you are my brother ... can't tell, O Anonymous person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He he! Those just tickle, Friend Blogger. You should make a book. Remind me never to sit in front of you in church. Oh, right. I'm a young people, I'm safe.
    By the way, (speaking of pints, which you were...) would you like to know where the saying "Mind your p's and q's." came from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! :) Of course, you may not be safe after all! I *usually* draw people over the age of, oh, 60. But I have drawn some younger people too! Notice Bed-head Boy? Yeah. *Evil grin*
    And yes, of course I'd like to know where that saying came from! I have the sneaking suspicion it has to do with pints? Eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it has to do with pints. The reall saying used to be "Mind your pints and quarts." It's used once in Lord of the Rings, I believe. Merry says it. But anywho, it means, beer. Don't drink to much. Keep track of your pints and quarts. Essentially. Fun, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No surprise here. So have you noticed that most of us concentrate better when we focus our minds? My already studied theory is that when you are pew doodling your brain is engaged at a higher level and you don't have to work to receive what is coming in from your environment (i.e. the audio sermon). I have read somewhere that people with a higher intelligence often doodle. Research it. Do you know that I doodle in geometric patterns? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, I like it! I must be very intelligent then. ;)
    I think I shall research that one sometime. Sounds fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! That's awesome Anni!! I Love 'em! :)
    Remember- our God is a just God. Slow to anger, abounding in love. :):) :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Liz!!
    And I'm so glad He is slow to anger and abounding in love!!! :-D :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, OK. Do you really expect someone to blog on their vacation!? Of course, I could spend today blogging instead of visiting you ... Eh?
    I'll try to blog sooooooonn!

    ReplyDelete